return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Grouping & Mixing Species Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Mon Jun 18 11:56:53 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

You could probably keep a small group of D. auratus with either D. leucomelas, or my favorite, D. galactonotus, orange morph, as all of these do well in groups. You also might mix Phyllobates terribilis with something like one of the Dendrobates mentioned. P. vittatus might also do all right with others if given plenty of space, but in my experience, they aren't as bold as the P. terribilis and might be intimidated. This is a guess, because I've never tried it. A note of caution: Sometimes certain D. auratus may be extremely shy and easily intimidated. My blue morphs that I've had for many years hide most of the time and are rarely seen, although they've lived in their own group without any losses. A frog that hides all the time isn't much fun. So ask the breeder what the reputation for this quality is with his particular line.

From my personal experience with D. azureus, I wouldn't attempt to mix them except in mated pairs, although sometimes two males and 1 female might do O.K. They utilize a lot of space, and one pair in 30 gallons is about right, but even in a 90 (which compared to rain forest space isn't all that big) they are going to want to have it all. My own line of them are also rather larger than most other darts.

If you choose to go with a single species, which in my opinion is advisable until you get some of your own personal experience with them separately, you could probably put about 8 of either leucomelas, auratus, galactonotus or the P. terribilis/vittatus in a 90 gallon with some planted height to it. (Cork background, branches, logs, etc with epiphytes to add to the vertical territory.) I know this is somewhat less than the standard recommendation of 5 gallons per frog, but if you put 18 frogs in there, they'd be way over-crowded. The D. galactonotus in particular, are very, very active frogs and will be virtually everywhere, up-down and around. The D. leucomelas are a bit slower, but they certainly don't stay put. (The designation of terrestrial vs arboreal species is meaningless in something as limited as a even a very large glass tank.)

Hopefully, you will be able to weigh some other opinions as all experiences aren't alike, even with the same species. Mixing is done so seldom, this may also be from people quoting the accepted folk wisdom of the hobby, which is never to mix at all. And except for the Galact/auratus mix, my own suggestions have not been tried out personally, but are only a best guess from observing these species separately.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

D. auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, galactonotus orange, galactonotus yellow, fantasticus, reticulatus, imitator, castaneoticus, azureus, pumilio Bastimentos. P. lugubris, vittatus, terribilis mint green, terribilis orange.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Grouping & Mixing Species Question - frogger, Mon Jun 18 00:03:22 2007