return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: HELP - WATER DISGUSTING

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: turtlepower at Tue Sep 25 08:12:49 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by turtlepower ]  

I know you must have solved the problem by now, but heres my two cents from my experience. The horrible sewage smell only lasted a week cos I figured out what was causing it thanks to internet research and forums like this one! I was lucky though cos if the smell had lasted any longer both myself and my turtle buds would have been homeless!! In my case it was gravel that caused it. I had just gotten a brand new 4 foot tank from my pet shop which also supplied a massive bag of gravel free of charge saying that it was okay for turtles to have in their tank. So I made the mistake of putting gravel (only a fraction of the amount supplied) into the tank thinking it would be alright. Why? because the smaller tank that I had the turtles in since they were babies had gravel in it and it never caused any problems. It never even occured to me that they would eat the gravel now that they were big enough to do just that, the new gravel must have looked much tastier than the old gravel!! A lot of people dont believe that turtles will eat gravel but they do! I didnt believe it until i saw the rock hard evidence in their poop!! People also think that it does'nt do much harm to the turtles.. they eat it and poop it.. so what! Which is fair enough providing they dont get impacted. There is another consequence to the turtles eating gravel, it increases ammonia levels in their poo and as a result in their tank which is where the nasty sewage smell comes from. The ammonia effects the water quality in your tank and if left for long enough it could reach toxic levels. so there is more than one way to kill your turtle using gravel! Okay now that that rant is out of my system, just like the gravel is out of my turt's, I'll leave you in peace!!

0.0.2 YBS (I'm pretty sure ones male (1.5 yrs) and one female (2yrs) but havent had them officially sexed yet!)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  HELP - WATER DISGUSTING - TwoFemaleRES, Tue Jun 19 15:09:14 2007