return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Breeding?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Wed Jul 11 10:44:15 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

I would recommend a drainage area of gravel under the substrate and live plants for dart frogs for several reasons: 1. You will need to mist them daily and water will accumulate. The live plants will help to take this up and the drainage layer will help to keep the substrate from becoming soggy. 2. Live plants will recycle frog wastes so you will not need to ever disturb the frogs to change the substrate. 3. The living systems help to maintain the proper humidity. You can still use the coconut fiber, but I would add some other type of organic compost to this, and or brown sphagnum moss.

I think that 10 gallons is a bit small for a breeding pair of azureus. They really do seem to need more room than the 5 gallons per frog that is commonly recommended.

That said, the azureus will tend to lay their eggs (about 4) on the flat surface of a leaf. I like to leave these in place for 3 to 4 days to make sure they have been fertilized. Then scrape them off VERY carefully into a Sterilite container, or cut the section of leaf off and place the section with the eggs in the container. I rinse them gently a couple of times with a small amount of spring water with a drop of two of methylene blue in it. Leave just enough water to barely touch, but not cover the eggs. As the eggs develop, watch them closely, and remove any that turn white or fail to develop. Be sure the eggs are oriented in the same manner as they were laid, i.e. not upside down. I keep a jug of spring water laced with about a tablespoon of "Black water extract or Instant Amazon." Some people may use water made from soaking oak leaves to make "tadpole tea." The tannins from this do help to keep the eggs and tads healthy.

As the eggs develop and you can see the tadpoles inside, gradually begin to add more and more water. By the time they are wriggling, you can begin to cover the eggs, and as they emerge from the gel, you can give them 1 to 2 inches of water. (Some people keep this deeper.) This is when I separate each tad into it's own container. I use the 3X4 Sterilite containers, one for each frog. I then add a hunk of java moss and begin feeding them with a sprinkling of chlorella and spirulina algae, plus occasional "Tadpole bites" on a daily basis. (Check out Saurian for the dried algae mix.)

While the azureus don't seem to be cannibalistic, they develop much better when separated. They exude some sort of hormone that inhibits growth, so if you don't separate them, one will grow much faster than the others--I've found that there may even be two to three weeks difference in their maturity rate and the smallest ones are more likely to die.

I use a turkey baster to siphon off wastes and replace any water removed daily from the jug of black water solution, kept at the same temperature. Alternatively, may people may keep them in deeper water and do partial water changes less frequently, and feed more less frequently. I'm just outlining what has worked well for me.

When the tads develop both legs and arms and begin to absorb the tail, tilt the container so they are able to climb out of the water onto the java moss. I put the container into the rearing tank at that time with the lid open. They will often climb out by themselves, or when you are sure they are totally terrestrial, you can help them.

They may not eat at first, but offer them springtails at this time. The rearing tank can be "seeded" with a lot of springtails well ahead of time. Begin offering them the smallest dusted fruit flies as soon as they will take them--the wingless are great for new froglets, and they will need the calcium/D3 dusting for strong development.

The mated pair will breed on their own time, and seem to do it in spurts of activity, with eggs every couple of weeks, and then longer rest periods in between.

I hope this helps. It is certainly not the "last word," but I had a lot of failures before hatching the eggs and raising tads began to work for me.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

D. auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, galactonotus orange, galactonotus yellow, fantasticus, reticulatus, imitator, castaneoticus, azureus, pumilio Bastimentos. P. lugubris, vittatus, terribilis mint green, terribilis orange.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Breeding? - e&t, Wed Jul 11 11:02:21 2007

<< Previous Message:  Breeding? - e&t, Mon Jul 9 13:55:40 2007