return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I think you all can help me

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Society Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: snakelady2 at Mon Jul 16 15:47:28 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakelady2 ]  

Hmmmmm, well it's going to be a gamble no matter what if you take the snake, but you may be giving a stray animal a really good home which I myself have done. You definitely need to see the snake. Check for things like broken ribs (let it crawl through your hands and if it's got some "malformations" in the body structure, there is reason for concern). This may also give you an idea of its temperment (provided it's been housed with proper temps and fed properly). You also should have someone with some experience with herpetoculture or a herp vet look in the snake's mouth to make sure the gum color is pink. The gums may be a little pale right now because of emaciation due to what the snake has been through recently, but if the gums are really pale then there's a health concern there (worms, respiratory infection, etc.). You really don't know what you're buying unless you can take him to a herp vet and get him tested for infection/worms/whatever. You also really should know what breed of animal you're bringing home. Do you have room for a burmese python? If this animal is a reticulated or African Rock Python, the snake's personality may be less than docile and I don't recommend that herpers keep those kind of snakes unless you're really experienced. That is just my personal opinion. I myself have never raised those kind of snakes, but I have spoken with several breeders that do and most agree with me. If you really want the snake, perhaps you could ask the petsmart person about the possiblity of taking the animal to a herp vet before agreeing to give the snake a home. These are all just things to think about, in the end of course it is your decision.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  washington parish snake ordinance... - xxx_stenner, Sun Jul 15 00:24:25 2007
<< Previous topic:  Cool Racer Story - ronald_durst, Wed Jul 11 20:45:58 2007