return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Care For C. C. mormon?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Royreptile at Sat Jul 14 12:13:52 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Royreptile ]  

Hello,
I currently have one juvenile Coluber mormon, and it's a great snake. They generally grow to between 2' and 3.5' but sometimes grow larger. I keep mine on a substrate of decomposed granite with a one inch layer of oak leaf litter. This seems to work fine, but you could always use other substrates as well such a ground coconut, aspen, or cypress mulch. Keep the substrate relatively dry with misting only once or twice a week. Cage size depends on the number and size of the snakes kept within. For an adult pair I would recommend a cage size of 48"L by 24"D by 24"T. Of course you could keep them in a smaller setup, but bigger is usually better with speedy colubrids. One must also consider that these snakes are confirmed snake eaters and the possibility is there that could eat each other. As always, keep a filled water basin present at all times. Provide a lot of branches for climbing, I use manzanita and it loves using it to climb.
Feeding these snakes isn't always easy. In the wild, they are opportunistic and will take down a variety of prey including lizards, frogs, small birds, and small rodents. Their most common prey is lizards and if yours don't take to mice easily I would recommend scenting the mouse with a lizard. I have discovered that small snakes love crickets. Mine will eat a dozen at a time, and I always use supplements on the crickets.
I'm pretty sure that's it. If you have any more questions just say so or e-mail me at the address below.
-----
Roy Blodgett
Green Man Herpetoculture
royreptile@yahoo.com

1.1 Drymarchon corais
1.1 Masticophis taeniatus taeniatus
0.0.1 Coluber mormon
1.1 Lampropeltis getula californiae (desert phase)
1.0 Boiga dendrophila dendrophila
1.1 Corytophanes cristatus
1.2 Varanus acanthurus brachyurus (Mt.Isa)
2.2 Pogona vitticeps (snow and red/gold)
1.0 Iguana iguana

“All men lie enveloped in whale-lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever-present perils of life.”- Herman Melville

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Care For C. C. mormon? - Royreptile, Sat Jul 14 12:15:33 2007

<< Previous Message:  Care For C. C. mormon? - reako45, Sat Jul 14 00:39:20 2007