return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Newts in a Dart enclosure?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bcijoe at Wed Jul 18 13:16:15 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bcijoe ]  

Hello Everyone, i'm new here..

Long time Boa Breeder, just stumbled into the wonderful world of Dart Frogs!

I was vending at the FIRE Expo and won a raffle which cost me $1. Vendors usually donate inexpensive items for these raffles, but this time I found a pair of Citronellas (hope that's right) valued at about $80! It was that or a package of plastic spiders, or a rubber snake, or a small ziplock bag of mulch.. lol

I snatched them up QUICK, always having wanted to get a few, and spent the next hour away from my table asking the nice people over at Simply Natural Dart Frogs everything I needed to know about them. They were the ones that donated these kids.

So, I was a bit nervous, not being ready for them, and still having a 4 hour drive home to Miami. I made it home near midnight and the first thing I did was setup their enclosure; for now, a 12 gallon bowfront tank, an Eclipse System 12.

I used the bioballs with cloth as a temp filter over them and river stones around the edges so you wouldn't see this. Layed the moss media next and then moss over them and some spaghnum. Then added some plants, leaves and sticks.

They've been here for 2 days and I can't get enough of them!
I had a 50 gallon tall acrylic tank I was supposed to set up for a brackish fish tank, African Cichlids or something like that... Not any more! LOL That one will have a water feature too 8)

ANYWAY, i've been dying to find other little creatures to mix with them, at least temporarily. I think the idea of a mini jungle with different creatures is so cool and would look amazing. I know we've all thought about this a bit from reading a few posts.

So, I had thought about native tree frogs, even if just for a little while when young. I've also been told Gold Dust Geckos would be ok.

I was thinking, what about Newts?
I know i've heard some wild newts have quite a toxic mucous membrane, or atleast toxic to other species of newts, but I would think Easterns, Westers, Firebellies, etc. purchased from clean pet stores would be ok, given enough room and hiding space... What do you all think?

Anyway, great reading some of your posts and I love seeing all the pics! Please keep them coming and i'll try to do the same!

Thanks for reading, Joe Rollo aka Bci Joe

Oh, and here are some pics!

-----
Thanks and take care - Joe Rollo
'Tis not the stongest of the species that will eventually survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change' Charles Darwin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Newts in a Dart enclosure? - johnnymo, Wed Jul 18 16:33:51 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Newts in a Dart enclosure? - AndrewFromSoCal, Wed Jul 18 18:05:10 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Newts in a Dart enclosure? - Slaytonp, Wed Jul 18 23:13:53 2007