return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Housing a gecko and chameleon togeth

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: aero_tiff at Thu Jul 19 11:42:34 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by aero_tiff ]  

IMHO:
NO. Will not work. I won't reiterate all the good points already made. I have a marginata (the one everyone thinks is a vorax) and a Melleri, one of the most sensitive chameleons. They shouldn't even be in the same line of sight. People say how "hardy" a veiled is, but that's only as far as chameleons go, it's still very easily stressed.
Keeping all the good points made in previous posts in mind: These guys are territorial, and each will claim the cage as his or her own, and no separate sleep schedule will change
the fact that they can smell each other.

I very regularly travel between NJ and Miami and move about once a year with 2 collarded lizards, 2 g marginata, a melleri, a greybanded kingsnake, a thayeri kingsnake, and soon to come, a transpacos ratsnake. I use travel cages. I used to do this in a 98 cavalier coupe, now i do it in an 06 accord coupe. The permanent cages are constructed in such a way that they break down easily for storage. So long story short, it can be done if necessary, but if you can't pack em up, don't pack em together. Never worth the risk of the animal's life for the owner's happiness.
(Stepping off my soapbox)
~Tiff

>>As olstyn mentioned, Chameleons are VERY suseptible to stress. I don't own Chams, but everything I've heard about them suggests stress can kill them eventually. Simply being in sight of another Cham can stress them out. Not worth the possible loss to me, but if you try it, know you may lose one or the other. JMHO.
>>
>>Quig
>>-----
>>Don't interupt me when I'm talkin' to myself
-----
"Were the diver to think upon the jaws of the shark, he would never lay hands on the precious pearl."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  In keeping 2 Marginata... - aero_tiff, Thu Jul 19 11:50:47 2007
<< Previous topic:  Housing a gecko and chameleon together? - imationkarl, Mon Jul 16 04:54:37 2007