return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

NY Press: Relocating the Rattlesnakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Mon Jul 23 21:02:49 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

ABC (New York, New York) 17 July 07 Relocating the Rattlesnakes - Business Is Booming for One Los Angeles Snake Wrangler (Brian Rooney and Peter Imber)
Bo Slyapich spends his summer days beating through the brush, looking for trouble in the hills outside Los Angeles&and most days he finds it.
Slyapich is "the rattlesnake wrangler." If you've got a snake, he will come and get it, even if it's hidden from sight.
"Now this is where it gets spooky. We can't see," he said, poking his nose under the barbeque in one backyard.
He put his face down close to the ground, and used a fiber-optic scope to look inside the soda machine by the pool.
"OK, we are good," he said.
Slyapich wears tall snakeproof boots and thick gloves, and he sometimes packs a gun loaded with snake shot, "like a mini shotgun shell."
And this summer, he's busy. Busier than he's ever been.
"I have never seen anything like this," he said. "I have three to four times the calls I had last year to this date. I'm getting one to three dogs bit a day. I'm getting a call for a human bite every four days. Not good."
The heat and drought in Southern California have driven the native rattlesnakes out of the dry hills into the cool green yards of peoples' homes. Sometimes you can hear a sound like a lawn sprinkler&when the sprinklers aren't running.
"I've been catching these things since I was 5," Slyapich said. "I know where they're going before they do. I know their habits. I know everything about these guys."
Despite that knowledge, the rattlesnake wrangler said he's "always scared. I'd be stupid not to be scared."
Part of the problem, Slyapich said, is that the rattlesnakes don't always rattle.
"Through the years the ones that rattle are getting caught and getting killed," he explained. "The ones that are passive don't always rattle. Those are the ones that are living and passing on the passive gene. So we're getting rattlesnakes now that don't rattle."
Slyapich keeps boxes of captured snakes in the back of his truck. And he's always happy to pull one out for a little education about rattlesnakes and snake bites.
"Rattlesnakes are lazy," he said. "They let things come to them. Then they strike and whack at 'em."
In all his years of catching rattlers, Slyapich claims he's never been bitten by one, tapping his head for luck when he says it.
Many of his customers live in expensive hillside homes, built where rattlesnakes live.
One day a couple of road workers caught a big rattlesnake that slithered out of the bush, and they called Slyapich up. The rest is snake wrangler history.
You'd think Slyapich would hate snakes, that he'd be on a campaign to eradicate them. But he doesn't even have a snakeskin belt.
"I relocate 'em in an area where there's no population," he said. "No need to kill 'em, they were here first."
Relocating the Rattlesnakes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]