return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: reptiles magazine "living vivarium"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: otis07 at Tue Sep 4 16:04:13 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by otis07 ]  

what the hell r u talking about? did you not see the list of animals kept in that tank? it's rediculus. and this is why i posted this, so that i could tell people like you that this kind of set up doesn't work. while at first glance it may look like a little piece of nature, look a little closer, do you see the water pumps, the florescent lighting, the filters, the heaters... while people may claim it's exactly like nature, it's not. what about the parasites, hte preditors, natural selection. i dobt theres any of those things.

next time do a little reserch before you say something like this is effecient and "cool". reserch dart frogs, all the species mentioned in the article, and you 'll see that they all have different care requirements, as well as locations in the wild. COMMUNITY TANKS ARE NEVER GOOD IEDEAS, and no matter how much people get told, they keep wanting to think otherwise.

take a look at the animals in the vivarium, do they live in the same geographic location? nope. do they eat the same food? nope. do they occupy the same niche? yes- bad for a community tank. could they eat eachother? yes. are they given enough space?nope. dart frogs need AT LEAST 10 gallons per two frogs, and those little chams need at least 10 per. neither dart frogs or chameleons are good swimmers, so any one of them could drown in that pool. chams eat crix, crix can kill thumbnail poison frogs.

i want you to reserch all the species you think can go together (excluding fish) and tell me why you think so. and you will see that community tanks are 99% of the time, a bad idea. and the animals are the ones who suffer.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: reptiles magazine "living vivarium" - gretchenellie, Tue Sep 4 14:49:47 2007