return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Motion sickness?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: thecaiman at Wed Aug 1 08:29:02 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by thecaiman ]  

ok dude this isnt your little dog foo foo, the snake doesnt care to be walked or cuddled, the snake doesnt care if it lives with you me or in the dirt floor of the forest, those people that ask questions are doing so becasue they dont want to be rude, behind your back they are jibbering I assure you, if you want to educate all those people(which is wonderfull) invite them to your house and let them all play with your snake in your living room, that way you are not exposing people who dont want to be to snakes,

as for the resprotory, reptiles metoblism is alot slower then mammals, Ive seen people OD a snake on antibiotics, blow the liver and due to the slow metabolism it took 5 months to die, upon necropsy it was found that it took that long for the toxins to build to a lethel level after the liver was blown, you could have walked your snake in April and it is just now starting to show the outward signs of sickness you and I see,

I dont mean to be rude but I am going to be blunt if your vet thinks walking your snake is good, is telling you there is some kind of health benifit to your snake from handling it, doesnt realize what I explained above your vet is an idiot and you need to find a new one ASAP, reptile medicine is not as advanced as cats and dogs which means VETs typically dont know what they are doing with reptiles, for the sake of your snake and the others in your area who like to keep snakes please leave your snake at home, and find a new vet

>>Well I'll be as direct, and disagree with both of you about the "value" of walking with her. Many people ARE afraid of snakes, it's true. But as they see that she is very friendly and harmless, they warm up to her. Many ask questions, and are interested to learn more about snakes. She enjoys it too, as it allows her to be in the warm sun and out of her cage, being cuddled by mom. My vet regularly comments on how nice it is to see someone who handles their snake as a pet, and not for display or breeding only. Her cold could not be related to these walks, as we were not going for walks at the time she was sick, and was actually caused by an issue with a thermostat which is currently being resolved. I've since read some literature that says a common cause of regurgitation is handling too soon after eating -which answers my question of if it was related to handling or the cold. Taking her out of her cage so soon after feeding was a mistake, no matter if we walked or not.
>>
>>That said, I do very strongly agree that anyone taking their pet out of the house (no matter what that pet is) needs to be responsible for ensuring it is not harming anyone around, and to keep it in a low stress environment.
>>
>>As for the advice around how to follow up with regurgitation, thank you -it's much appreciated.
-----
Breakdown, goodbye America
So long the music's died
Freedom's last hero's wasted
I made you, I'll break you
Breakdown, goodbye America
It's all gone, kiss it goodbye
There on bloody bended knees where
my nation died

B. Lawless

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Motion sickness? - reptilicus81, Wed Aug 1 21:00:20 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Motion sickness? - Bill_Bartkus, Sun Aug 5 09:33:30 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Motion sickness? - CalgaryDumLover, Tue Jul 31 10:11:55 2007