return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: dart frog set up help !!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: e&t at Wed Aug 1 11:41:22 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by e&t ]  

Well, the best beginner frogs would be tinctorius species, auratus species, and leucomelas. Tinctorius do best in pairs as females fight and eat each other's eggs. I don't know very much about auratus, however. And leucomelas do well in groups. Personally, I would say the best beginner frogs are leucomelas, the bumblebee dart frogs. The size of the group depends on the size of the tank. I think it's like 1 frog for every 10 gallons or something. Right now I'm working on setting up a 29 gallon tank for leucs. But before you can think about frogs, you've got a lot of work to do to set up a tank. I'll go from the ground up. A simple substrate should be at least two layers. The bottom should be aquarium gravel, the top should be either coconut fiber or sphagum (Not sure about spelling). The gravel is needed for drainage. You should have a few hiding places, like cocohuts used for hermit crabs. You also need at least oe water bowl, with a few leaves around in case the frogs fall in. You'll also need plenty of driftwood, situated so the peices are at angles that will let the frogs climb if they want to. I know leucs like to climb a lot, but I don't really know much about the habits of the other two. Also, you will need a few plants, like bromeliads. I recommend bromeliad plants basically because they're cheap and easy to care for. The light should be a fluorescent freshwater aquarium light, which should be good enough for the plants and the frogs. They need to be kept basically around room temperature, around the mid-70's. They need to be misted down with a spray bottle at least once a day, and if you want, you can cover the top of the tank with clear plastic wrap to keep in humidity. A few websites you can check out for supplies and info are blackjungle.com and pumilio.com. Now, I am by no means "experienced". I have not even kept any frogs yet. If I have given you any incorrect advice, then hopefully someone will correct me. Good luck.

-Ty

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: dart frog set up help !!!! - Slaytonp, Wed Aug 1 12:26:44 2007

<< Previous Message:  dart frog set up help !!!! - tortman99, Tue Jul 31 21:15:22 2007