return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: my frogs wont stop laying eggs.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Thu Aug 9 20:51:26 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

What species are they? Egg laying seems to go in enthusiastic spurts, followed by months of abstinence, depending upon the species. You always have the choice of simply removing the eggs and not raising them, or leaving them there to see what the frogs will do about them for themselves, if you've been removing them to raise yourself. Getting into the business of shipping out extras to other hobbyists is another alternative, but not one I personally want to get involved in. It's more costly than it's worth in terms of advertising and then dealing with customers, then shipping, and perhaps having to refund or replace deliveries gone awry. I am donating at least one extra azureus to a high school biology class this next fall, but it's going to cost me more to do as a donation than the original breeding pair, because I'll be supplying the tank, set-up and food supply. I just hope it will be an educational thing to do, but it certainly isn't a practical way to get rid of extras on a regular basis. In the meantime, I have a whole herd of them, that like you, I don't know what to do with now that they are out and hopping around by the dozen in separate nursery tanks.

Breeding and raising tads is fun to do and when you do it successfully, it is a learning experience, but after that, dispersing extras is much too demanding for general hobbyists. For many of us, wasting eggs seems like a bad decision, but on the other hand, unless one is willing to go into the business and become a serious breeder, I'm not sure there's a better answer than simply doing population control by aborting eggs.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

D. auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, galactonotus orange, galactonotus yellow, fantasticus, reticulatus, imitator, castaneoticus, azureus, pumilio Bastimentos. P. lugubris, vittatus, terribilis mint green, terribilis orange.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my frogs wont stop laying eggs. - ShinyScales, Fri Aug 10 09:16:10 2007

<< Previous Message:  my frogs wont stop laying eggs. - ShinyScales, Thu Aug 9 17:10:15 2007