return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I know this is old but...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tokay Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fireside3 at Mon Oct 1 00:40:58 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fireside3 ]  

But your message does not discredit the science of the makeup of these larvae that I know to be fact. I have studied this in depth, and have spoken to biologists about it. I know about the carbon bonds in triglyceride fats, and the metabolic work it takes to break those bonds, to allow the constituents to pass through the intestinal barrier, and be used or recombined in the blood stream for storage. I know that the metabolism is slower for reptiles because they are ectothermic, and that such metabolic work for them to break carbon bonds consumes water stores and requires more heat of them, and it also draws metabolism down further, which may lead to other complications. I'm not saying that they should never be offered...but they are not healthy, because they are mostly fat, sodium, and chitin; and too many people think they are healthy all the time offerings.

I know too much about this to be swayed by anecdotal observations by lay persons. You don't know why your Tokays were large or good breeders. It could as much have had something to do with other food offerings, temps, humidity, lighting, supplementation, or just genetics. It could also be that your Tokays got the way they did in spite of being offered mealworms and superworms all the time.
-----
freewebs.com/wichitafallsreptilerescue

pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HornedLizards

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I know this is old but... - othahorror, Mon Oct 1 12:31:57 2007

<< Previous Message:  I know this is old but... - Othahorror, Sun Sep 30 18:36:34 2007