return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

sick pacman frog?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: powerofvoodoo at Thu Sep 6 10:08:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by powerofvoodoo ]  

bought an albino pacman frog last November. She's about 2" long and 1 1/2" wide and I don't know the sex yet but because I named her Bitsy, I refer to her as a female.

In the past few months, I've noticed an extreme drop in her eating habits--she hasn't been eating much and she's been moving around less than usual. Starting about a month ago, there have been times where I would check on her or pick her up and her legs would be sticking straight out behind her and she wouldn't move. Her body would get hard and I figured she learned a new defensive move. Last night I fed her for the first time in almost 2 weeks (she hasn't been eating much anyway and it's really hard for me to get crickets right now) and I gave her 6 small mealworms. She only ate 3 in the couple of hours I had her in a seperate cage (her travel cage) with the mealworms.
This morning, she was laying in her water dish with her legs sticking straight out but when I picked her up, she moved her legs back and started moving around more. Tonight, she was again in her water dish with her legs sticking straight out and when I picked her up, she was completely limp. While I can move her body myself, I was unable to make her move. Now, she could be dead for all I know because I also couldn't tell if she was breathing or not, but she did close her eyes when I layed her down on her back on my desk.
When I flipped her over, I realized that her body looked even more transparant than usual I can see a red vein running down the middle of her body which I never noticed before.
She has been on a strict diet of crickets and mealworms (more crickets than mealworms) since I got her but I did give her a feeder fish that my friend bought for her pacman back in January.
About a month ago I went to the petstore and asked about her, one of the workers suggested to me that maybe she is hybernating but her tank has always been about 78 degrees F. The only change that she's experienced is when I went home for the summer, she went from the large critter keeper to a 10 gallon aquarium (I go to school and keep her "illegally" in my dorm so I am putting off buying her a larger cage for school until she is fully grown)
She also has only burrowed under the dirt once or twice in the past 3 or 4 months and she used to burrow completely under to the point where I wouldn't be able to find her.
I had always kind of chalked up her weird behavior to the fact that she wasn't used to her 10 gallon tank, but even now, in her familiar home, she's acting the same way.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with her before I try to find and take her to an exotic vet? (I'd rather not do that unless I have to because of my lack of transportation and lack of money, but I will if people advise me to do so)
Also, can anyone tell me if she should be bigger than this by now? I thought that she should be fully grown by now but I try to always keep a couple of crickets running around her cage because she's never been the type to eat because the food was available. I always gutload the crickets but the calcium powder usually rubs off before she eats the crickets.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Pacman teeth question - noodles21, Thu Sep 6 18:57:02 2007
<< Previous topic:  Caging.. - AndrewFromSoCal, Tue Sep 4 18:29:14 2007