return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Troub with P.platyrhinos, PLEASE HELP!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ornate_uro at Sun Sep 30 17:37:21 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ornate_uro ]  

Hi,

I have 2 P.platyrhinos lizards. Very small, babies even? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a male and female. I started them on harvester ants immediately when I got them, about 3-4 months ago. They indulged in the ants. And I've never had a problem with their diet. Until now. As of recently, for the past month or so, Ive been noticing a lot of dead ants in the tank.

Within the past week or so, I've noticed the male not eating at all. Now the past couple weeks I've been spraying them frequently and keeping shallow dishes of water and the occassional soak, because they have just look very dehydrated. They love this since I've introduced water. (which I did not know was beneficial til as of late).

I also didnt know you can offer them other things besides ants, I offered my female a butterworm today and she gulped it up. My male is not doing good AT ALL. He remains lifeless, throughout soaks and being picked up. Ants walk all over him and he is not phased. He moves around in the tank from heat to water, but thats it. He's not eating at all and underneath his stomach is VERY sunken in.

I became really worried today and tried force-feeding him water with a eye dropper. He would not open his mouth. I'm also trying everything possible to get him to eat. No good. Now, I noticed something very alarming. The head of an ant was stuck into his toe on his back leg. I tried to pull it out and noticed his toe was disconnected from his foot. The head came off with the tip of his toe.

Please help I dont want to lose him, what can I do to get him to eat????

a quick idea of their enclosure:

-50 gallon long glass tank, 12 inches high.
-100-105 basking spot, 90 ambient, 80 cool end.
-Substrate: sand mixed with potting soil
-ESU desert sun UVB light
-shallow water dishes
-diet has been nothing but harvesters.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereTroub with P.platyrhinos, PLEASE HELP!!! - ornate_uro, Sun Sep 30 17:37:21 2007

>> Next topic:  SHL Update and pics - Bluemax1969, Wed Oct 3 18:47:53 2007
<< Previous topic:  Is This Legal?? - county, Sun Sep 30 15:49:05 2007