return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

answers to some of your questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tegu24 at Sun Oct 7 21:44:24 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tegu24 ]  

the endangered status of the Eastern tiger salamander is limited to certain US states, mainly on the east coast (i live in NY where they are only native to the long island area and are considered endangered by the NY DEC, you are required to apply and hold a permit for removing them from the wild.) there was an attempt several years ago to get the listed as endangered federally, but it was denied. MN and IA do not have eastern tigers on the protected list, but because they are native species, you may need a small game or fishing licnese to catch them in the wild legally, depending on state laws.

as for captive breeding, the report out of Japan was proven to be false. the salamander inquestion was wild caught and in captivity less than two months when it layed eggs. as i understand it, it was kept with two other females, no males. so it was most likly pregnant prior to being caught and shipped to Japan. in order for a animal to be considered capative bred, both parents must be kept in a controled situation where they mate, lay eggs and the eggs develope under the same circumstances. so having wild caughts kept in a container outside and getting offspring is not considered captive breeding at this time. the requirements of the tiger salamander for proper housing and numbers to attempt captive breeding is way beyond that of even most avid hobbyists. i keep four different species of tiger sals in 150 gal. aquariums set up as close to their natural enviroment as i can produce, and i have never even seen them mating, let alone had viable offspring.

for the person keeping two tiger sals ina 10 gal. tank, unless they are about 2" in length, you need to give them more space, at least a 20 gal. long. providing about 4" of soil, plants(perferbly live),moss for hiding and moisture, a large water dish they can submerge and swim in and wood or rock caves is necessary as a minimum for a responsible hobbyists.

as for taking from the wild. this is how a species becomes threatened or endangered. "I just took one", only works when you are the only one who does so, but you know that this is not true. if you like seeing them in the wild, then watch them, but do not touch. taking one for a year to watch it and have some fun can leave the animal sick with disease that it may spread to the wild population when released. if you find yourself unable to leave them alone and you catch one or more, you are now responsible for them for the rest of their lives, just as with any pet. if you take one, make sure you kow how to care for it properly and can do so for a long time. tiger sals are capable of living in captivity of 10 years or more.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: answers to some of your questions - boxienuts, Mon Oct 8 17:40:36 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: eastern tiger salamander - myotismn, Fri Oct 5 16:08:26 2007 image in post