return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Info on greens....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sprovstgaard at Mon Dec 31 13:58:54 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sprovstgaard ]  

I have both a female green anaconda and yellow anaconda. The green is about 7.5 years old and is about 14 to 15 feet and 170 lbs. The yellow is about 6 years old and is about 9 feet and 50 lbs. Both are well behaved. The green has always been very well mannered and is a very docile snake. The yellow took some work, but now is very tractable and is a very well behaved snake. The green is housed in a 8 foot by 6 foot Rubbermaid shed that I customed out to hold her. She has a 5 foot Kane heat pad and a 150 gallon pond (Rubbermaid stock tank) that is heated to 80 degrees with a pvc incased 350 watt titanium heater. Her pond is dropped 2 times per week (unless she urates and /or passes fecal in it) and is bleached everytime she soils it or once per week otherwise. I keep her on duglas fir bark substrate with a humidity of 70 to 80 percent. She is fed one 8 to 12 pound rabbit every 8 to 9 weeks. During the spring, summer, and fall I also take her outside in my fenced backyard so that she can bask and swim in a very large plastic pool. Yup, she is my pride and joy! Anyway, the green anaconda is only messy following her feed. It takes about 3 to 4 weeks for her to pass all of the rabbit out of her system. The yellow anaconda is housed in a 6 foot Vision cage with a heated pond. She is kept on newspaper. She is one of the most labor intensive snakes I have. Although she is fed only every 5 to 6 weeks, she urates constantly and passes fecal for weeks following her feedings. I love her to death, but I am glad I only own one . Compared to my retics, rocks, scrub, and tree boa these snakes are a bit more work. The green is allot of work for 3 out of every 9 weeks, and the yellow is a 3 to 5 day per week change of newspaper and disinfecting of cage and pond. Both are great snakes, but both require serious housing considerations. Both of mine are either CB or CBB, and having seen wild caughts I can tell you that they are snakes you should avoid like the plague. There are many people breeding yellows and of course Kelly and a few others breeding greens. Whatever the difference in cost is, CB is the only way to go. I hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Shane

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Info on greens.... - rottenweiler9, Thu Oct 11 13:13:42 2007