return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: building mole salamander habitat,nee

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boxienuts at Wed Oct 10 12:24:54 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boxienuts ]  

sounds neat, are you going to line the sides with brick and pour concrete for the floor? just make sure they can't squeeze though and place and dig out or you probably won't see them again. I intend to use pond liner stapled to 2"x12" wood frame with some slack left in the liner to create a small pond, that way on the land part they can only dig down as deep as the soil I put on top of the liner, which I plan on only having a soil depth of 4-6" that way I can dig them up and put them in the basement for winter. The small pond will have a small filter box with a small low volume pump so as to not suck up eggs yet keep the water quality up along with periodic partial water changes, also the pond will be surrounded by small rocks to act as a buffer so the soil won't be tracked into the pond so much, and stocked with pond plants. Also this will be located on the northeast side of the house so it will only recieve a few hours of morning sun and stay cool. Anyway, good luck with your habitat I hope it works out for you and take lots of pictures to share.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: building mole salamander habitat,nee - boxienuts, Wed Oct 10 12:29:53 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: building mole salamander habitat,nee - Othahorror, Wed Oct 10 09:41:51 2007