return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

New to Tegus

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyrusdust at Tue Oct 16 00:47:08 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyrusdust ]  

I bought my first Tegu, an Argentine Red Tegu named Dresden a few months ago. He has decided to hibernate. What are the proper temps for hibernation? He lives in the basement with me and if I was to put him on floor, it's tile, it would get to 60 something degrees F. I was also thinking of putting him in the furnace room that gets colder than that because of the cold air intake, but it might get down to 40 degrees I'm guessing.

He went of feed three weeks ago and I stopped offering food two weeks ago. How long should I wait to turn off his heat to make sure his system is all cleaned out? He has also be buried for over a week now with out coming back out.

He is currently housed in a 20 gal long with shredded coconut and the bed a beast type bedding mixed together. I filled the cage about half way so he could burrow. Is there any other ideas for substrate that will hold their shape for burrows better? Also should I be keeping the substrate moist even though he is going to be sitting in it for a while?

Lastly I'm looking for some good Tegu Food recipes. I want to make a Tegu Mash that is complete. It would be convenient to be able to freeze it and then thaw off chunks as needed or at least make it up only once a week. Or is it better to give them chunks of fresh food?

I just want Dresden to be happy and healthy! So thanks very much for taking time to read this.
-Meg

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New to Tegus - Crimsonwolf1313, Wed Oct 17 00:08:55 2007