return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Substrate and lighting question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 7serpents at Mon Oct 22 04:26:40 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 7serpents ]  

Cage ambient temps should range 75f to 82f, spot light area "air temp @92f to 95f" with ceramic tile/Terra Cotta Saucer "surface temp 95f to 110f". Be sure there are many hiding areas as Plated Lizards DO NOT like to be in the open. Never have the cage in direct Sunlight.

Depending on the species depends on the cage size; example: Sudan Plated lizard avg. SVL 18" so cage should be min of 75 gallon or wooden cage 5 ft Long x 2 ft Wide(30" to 36" perferred) x 2 ft High. A Red Infrared Spot Light bulb is more acceptalble in that you never change it unless is goes out. Also the use of 12" x 12" or 16" x 16" ceramic tile(s) under the spot light allow for belly heat to rasie body temp.

more information or pictures are needed to help you. Why are you feeding live mice? and why at this time of year? This is Brumation time/not same as Hybernation. Scroll down "Plated Lizard Forum" pages to see previous care/husbandry/breeding infromation posted by myself and others--this will help.

Also for shedding you need a humidity/nest box with Sphgnum Moss & cocnut husk(H2O expanded) so they can burrow under substrate to enter humidity box; this is where they recieve the moisture to shed. Read the previously most information them post or email me and I will help anyone the best I can. I have been keeping/breeding Zonosaurus & Gerrhosaurus speices since the 1970s' and have much experience to offer.

Also there are expienced others on this forum that have much help to offer so use as much infromation from many sources to see what works for your animals. Not every animal reposonds to any particular setup or diet and it is up to you to see how your animal responds to what techniques you are using. Learn from your lizards what they need or respond to,

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: Substrate and lighting question - 7serpents, Mon Oct 22 04:26:40 2007

>> Next topic:  Sleeping Too Much - artistandwriter, Tue Oct 30 18:14:01 2007
<< Previous topic:  WHAT KIND OF PLATED ?? - BRONXBOY, Mon Sep 24 18:24:50 2007