return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mossy tree frogs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: otis07 at Thu Nov 1 08:53:00 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by otis07 ]  

Slaytonp- I have had my mossies for about three months now, and I LOVE them. They are absolutely gorgeous and pics don’t do them justice. From my experience, which is limited, they seem pretty hardy. I have three juvies (they are about 1 inch now) in a 10 gallon. It has about 2.5-3 inches of water. There is a piece of floating cork and moss covered rocks. I put tons of plant cuttings in and they have since grown and adapted. Their favorite plant so far would be the pothos; they hide on the underside during the day and come out at night to hunt. They also stay under water for a good chunk of the day. It scared the crap out of me when I first got them because they stayed completely submerged for a long time. They will also stick to the glass underwater and just keep their nose up to breath, although they tend to hide in the water plants when they sense your presence. They don’t move at all during the day, but at night they seem to get more arboreal.

For substrate I just have gravel, and that doesn’t seem to hurt their skin at all. I think eventually I will add a little sand to the top though. When I first got them I was a little worried about water quality, but that hasn’t been a problem. The only thing that I would worry about is the buildup of dead crickets. I don’t have a filter so I just net them out. I do leave some in though; there is this green algae/aquatic moss stuff that is starting to “eat” the dead crix. I think all the plants help with the water quality a lot though. I didn’t start off with any aquatic plants, but they kind of just appeared. I think that is due to the light and the dead crix. I have an energy efficient spirally bulb on it and it produced a lot of light. They don’t like it too hot, but a lot of light is ok and I didn’t have a florescent…

Where were you thinking of getting your mossies? Saurian.net has them and I got mine from aaronsfrogfarm.com. Aaron always has them available, and saurian only has them available sporadically I think. For a 55 gallon, you could get a lot. I would say 5 to a 30 gallon, and maybe 7ish for a 55 gallon. If you were planning on breeding it’s better to have more males. They aren’t at all territorial, but what I thought was kind of neat is they lay individual eggs, they will lay on the branches that are coming out of the water and the eggs each will be laid and fertilized separately. Saurian.net has a really detailed care sheet on them and it was published in REPTILES magazine a little while ago.

Good luck if you do decide to get them and I hope this helped!
-----
RES
WTF
FBT
Russian Tortoise
Hingeback tortoise
Leos
Lawsons Dragon
Aussi
Ocelot Gecko
0.0.3 Vietnamese Mossy Treefrogs
Oregon Newt
Japanese FBN
American Bullfrog
0.0.4 D. tinctorius
D. auratus
D. leucomelas
1.1D. imitator
0.0.2 imitator intermedius
1.1.1D. lamasi
Grandis Day Gecko
Mali Uro
0.0.4 Hourglass Treefrogs
Hedgehog, bunnies, dog, fish, crawfish...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Michigan Tree Frog Question - cmscorns, Tue Oct 30 13:45:32 2007
<< Previous topic:  New to forum and in need of help! - meme_cantu, Fri Oct 26 13:15:43 2007