return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone keep Malaysian horned frog ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Carlton at Wed Nov 7 18:54:36 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carlton ]  

I have a group of 4.3 Megophrys nasuta (the bigger species. M montana is the smaller one). One male I've had for about 3 years, and the others have been here about 6 months with no problems. They like temps between 65F and 72F, NO MORE than 74F. Humidity can cycle from about 60% up to 80% but they don't want to be dripping wet all the time. They are very secretive and need lots of dry leaves and bark for cover. I prefer layers of leaves rather than the usual Bed-a-Beast cocoa fiber substrate. Feed only at night as they are strictly nocturnal. They are quite sedentary, but don't crowd them. They don't show much real aggression to each other, but do show stress if they have to share hides. Don't house them with anything smaller than their mouth. Nightcrawlers, soft bodied roaches, crix are good foods. I had my one male in a 40 gal breeder tank and he used almost all of it. They need to soak, so provide either a water feature or a large shallow pan. They don't swim well, so make sure they can get in and out of the water easily. They avoid bright lights.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Anyone keep Malaysian horned frog ? - Bianca, Mon Dec 3 03:58:25 2007

<< Previous Message:  Anyone keep Malaysian horned frog ? - Bianca, Tue Oct 30 22:02:32 2007