return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Growing on track? Alt. to turtle cl

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: daveski at Thu Nov 1 20:38:07 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by daveski ]  

Also if you are feeding him 8-10 large(adult size) pellets once a day that is way too much. that is too much protein especially at that age. 6 months to a year you are suppose to change the feedings to about every other day. if you overfeed the little guy, he will get shell pyramiding and grow too fast which will cause health problems down the road and eventually an early death. i use to give in to my little guys begging all the time. the thing is they will beg whenever they see you. turtles are opportunistic eaters and when they see you they see an opportunity to eat. the reason they are like this is because in the wild they aren't fed on a schedule. in the wild they definitely don't eat as much protein. naturally turtles are really slow growers, compared to other reptiles, because they have a lot longer of a life span. so if you want a healthy little guy take my advice.

My baby YBS's(3 months old) get fed commercial food once a day for about 5 minutes as much as they can eat until their appetites are diminished. Theres always plants in there for them to snack on, aquatic plants as i mentioned earlier. i also have about half a dozen tiny feeder guppies who they rarely catch, because they aren't good hunters yet. Sometimes ill substitute the commercial food with tiny crickets or worms. but only one feeding of protein a day. in about 3-6 months i will switch to every other day. Anyways hope this helps. post some pictures of the little one.

dave

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Growing on track? Alt. to turtle cl - Erinlyn80, Thu Nov 1 21:00:29 2007

<< Previous Message:  Growing on track? Alt. to turtle clean? - erinlyn80, Wed Oct 31 16:39:51 2007