return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Things don't always work out.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Wed Oct 31 18:55:44 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

Jud and I tried a new female green this year that had never been bred before. She is a 13 to 14 foot, 6 year old that has perfect body weight and temperament, and we were looking forward to some really nice young. She ovulated right on schedule and numerous copulations were seen with Jud's well proven male. However, I noticed that toward the end of the gestation period, she was not as swollen as I would have liked her to look, and I had some reservations about the outcome.

Unfortunately, a few days ago, my thoughts were confirmed. I was checking on her and found she had dropped 25 to 30 unfertilized ova around the cage and no live young. A few are in the photo below, and they averaged about 4 inches in length. Not sure of the cause on this one; it could be because this was her first pregnancy, but that is not always the case by any means. And, as is typical with all female greens, she immediately started to eat the unfertilized ova.

It was a disappointment, but that is how things go when working with the variables associated with the reproduction of any living organism in captivity. It makes the successes that much better. We have two other females that are ready to go this winter, and will be pairing one or both of them up here in about 4 or 5 months. I have a male that is half related to Jud's that we may pair up with another unrelated female. One thing is for sure, there's always something different going on when you are working with a group of green anacondas.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Things don't always work out..... - unprofessional, Thu Nov 1 07:22:39 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Things don't always work out..... - mjf, Fri Nov 2 01:37:39 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Things don't always work out..... - ben_renick, Fri Nov 2 09:52:06 2007