return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mounting plants?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Tue Nov 6 23:14:34 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

I've never mounted them on oak, but on cork bark, or other wood, I push the stolon, if present, into a crevice and do one of several things, depending upon the substrate. You may have to drill a hole for the stolon and bottom part of the plant with oak, because it is so dense. You can then support it more or less upright with bamboo skewers from various aspects of the vivarium, which you can remove later. You can also hot glue an outer upper leaf or two directly onto the bark, or use silicone. This will probably be enough to support it long enough for it to send out it's own support roots. Just use the middle parts of the leaves for any glue or silicone, as you don't want to damage the growth center at the base. I've done various things with fishing line, cotton thread, using nearby protuberences to secure this around the plant. You can also use staples on a couple of leaves, to be removed later. Always use an older outside leaf, of course. They will die off eventually, anyway. I also usually wrap just a bit of sphagnum moss around the base of the plant before securing it or stuffing it into a drill hole. This seems to help it develop the support roots faster.

I do some pretty audacious things to my bromes without killing them off.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Mounting plants? - amphiman, Wed Nov 7 11:35:14 2007

<< Previous Message:  Mounting plants? - amphiman, Tue Nov 6 13:15:13 2007