return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Activity Level of Red Footed Tortoises..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tglazie at Thu Nov 15 11:01:47 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tglazie ]  

I find that this really depends upon the personality of your redfoot. I have four animals in my colony that I've raised since they were hatchlings, and two that I purchased as wild caught sub adults, acclimated over a period of four years. As hatchlings, I tend to find that young redfoots spend much of their time hiding. This has a great deal to do with predation, as small tortoises in the wild (in a tropical savanna, more precisely) are easy prey for all manner of birds, mammals, and even certain large lizards and snakes. Also, young redfoots have much thinner, absorbant skin than do sulcatas and other desert dwellers, and as such, this act of hiding works to keep their water reserves in tact, very important in the savanas of Brazil, Bolivia, and Venezuela, where rain patterns are seasonally variable.

Once your redfoot gets some size to its form, then you'll notice a distinct display of personality. They tend to be curious about everything, and exhibit some hilarious behaviors that I generally do not see in sulcatas. One of my redfoots is deathly afraid of insects, for instance. Whenever she sees a pill bug or beatle crawling toward her, she bolts. My captive animals display a curiosity that generally overwhelms them, so much so that if I walk up on them while they are eating, they will stop eating and chase me down, possibly in the hope of getting something better, possibly just to see what I'm doing in their domain. I've never seen this in a sulcata, unless I actually placed my foot so close to where it couldn't be ignored. My sulcatas seem to lose their "love" for me the second I place a meal before them, hissing and spitting if I come too near, but the redfoots continue their curious chase.

My wild caught animals tend to be more withdrawn. They do not come to me for food, although they are starting to associate me with it. Whenever I enter the enclosure, they're always waiting in their shelters with their eyes on the feeding spot. Once I'm out of sight and smell range, they dash from their spots, even trying to push the others aside to get their share of the goodies. I expect that they will eventually get over this fear, but I've had a wild caught leopard tortoise for ten years now that still hides in her shell even if I'm ten feet away from her, so I can't expect too much from the wild ones. Though I can't be sure, I think I'm making progress in personalizing their habits.

Well, I hope this helps in answering your questions. The previous reply suggested a good site for care info, but I would imagine you've got that area cornered, being a keeper of leopard and sulcata tortoises. Oh yes, and anytime there is an afternoon summer downpour, place your redfoot out in it (so long as all drowning hazards eliminated). In South Texas this past summer, it rained nearly every day in June and July. All of my redfoots gained several ounces over the summer; they ate like pigs and ran about endlessly while my sulcatas wallowed in mud, wondering when the sun was going to show itself.

T.G.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Activity Level of Red Footed Tortoises.. - terryo, Fri Nov 16 17:25:25 2007

<< Previous Message:  Activity Level of Red Footed Tortoises.. - DavidKendrick, Wed Nov 14 17:31:09 2007