return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My viv complete..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Sun Nov 18 18:44:13 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

While like Otis, I go for the miniaturized concept, that tank is indeed very nicely arranged and balanced. The fern on the left may or may not become difficult to control, in particular. I have a similar appearing Nephrolepis in an 80 gallon tank that regularly needs major ripping up (and some soil replacement) although it's really pretty before it gets to that stage, so I always leave some nubs of it so it can start its rampage all over again.

It's not as if using larger plants is a fatal mistake, as you can always trim and rip, or even remove and replace what doesn't work without causing any major damage to the tank or even the frogs, as long as you refresh any substrate you may need to remove, and are careful about frog escapes while you're at it. The bolder frogs even seem to get into this and may even tend to get in the way, seemingly "curious" about what's going on, but whatever stress it causes with these species that have become used to you seems to be either very temporary or actually stimulates them into new activity. I am pretty cautious with the really shy or more delicate species, although even the shy blue auratus seem to come out more after a change and trimming. I too, had to gradually learn what worked where and for how long, and I still don't hesitate to put something new to me in the newer vivariums. Nothing is ever totally perfect, so what matters over all is what both you and your frogs are happy with, both design for you, and habitat for the frogs.

When I recently did some ripping up of this same fern and a few other overgrown things in my 80 gallon P. terribilis tank, I heard them all chattering like scolding squirrels, although they didn't attempt to hide, and I'd never heard them make any noise or call before, and they're probably 3 years old. I figured that since no breeding activity or calling had ever taken place, I probably have all females. However, P. terribilis females apparently can and do vocalize. I asked a question on this on Dendroboard, and the replies indicated this was an experience others had noted, even with other species. It was my first experience with having any frogs vocalize while I was disrupting a tank, however--and I've done a lot of disrupting over the years. This is part of what makes it so much fun--discovering things for yourself. (It's also kinda fun to turn around and give advice as if you had always "known that."

All in all I think you have done an excellent job, and am truly envious of the oak bark background.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Auratus - amphiman, Sun Nov 18 21:59:17 2007
<< Previous topic:  Temp question - amphiman, Fri Nov 16 19:01:58 2007