return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Questions for the owners of big sulcatas

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tglazie at Tue Nov 20 19:07:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tglazie ]  

I've never owned any female sulcatas (believe me, I've tried, but all I seem capable of raising is males; I purchased one sulcata, my first, twelve years ago; I then purchased a group of five seven years ago; all of them turned out to be male), but I keep my males together on two acres of land in South Texas. Fighting is generally limited, especially when they are well fed, though occasional separation is necessary. I would assume that some degree of separation between the sexes is necessary, as a constantly gravid female is not a healthy female, nor will her hatchlings be healthy.

As for the question of feeding, I generally offer food two days on, two days off. However, every other day also works according to several of my friends. Keep in mind that these tortoises come from an arid landscape, where food is often scarce as rain falls an average of six to eight inches per year. Sudan and Mauritania have regularly been in the news as having fickle precipitation, and some areas do not receive rain for years at a time. Now, this does not mean that you should starve your animals (I feel that refusing food for over one week is unacceptable); however, it does mean that with proper care, it is very unlikely that a sulcata will starve. More important than frequency is dietary constituents. Make sure your giants have plenty of grass and alfalfa hay during the winter months and plenty of natural graze during the summer, spring, and fall. Also remember that these animals eat a great deal. I've seen my males take down six heads of romain lettuce and ten pounds of zuchini in a single sitting, then resume browsing on winter grass, bermuda, and dandelion afterwards.

T.G.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Questions for the owners of big sulcatas - weebeasties, Wed Nov 21 14:37:58 2007

<< Previous Message:  Questions for the owners of big sulcatas - weebeasties, Tue Nov 20 18:50:25 2007