return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Dart Questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Tue Nov 27 21:00:16 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

No other heaters. I live in a cool climate, but try to keep the house temperatures above 65, and not less than 60 at night, which seems to work fine. I have more problems keeping some of the tanks cool in summer than heating them up, because I don't have air conditioning. Many of the frogs can actually tolerate rather lower night temperatures. (This is anecdotal, but a poster once told us that his auratus regularly get down into the upper 50's at night, and although they didn't move much until they warm up, they have tolerated this for years. Some of the smaller guys might be more particular, however.) One thing to consider is that both the substrate and water features will take up heat during the day and release it more slowly at night, so this actually moderates the changes. I also received my first pair of azureus in an overnight pack that felt extremely cold when I opened it, and the frogs were not moving at all. (I was too concerned with the frogs to measure the temperature of the insulated box, but would have guessed it at about 45 degrees just from the feel.) I thought they might be dead. I was nearly in a panic, but put them in the nursery tank and let them warm up. Gradually they warmed up, began moving, and within two hours, were eating like pigs. They had no further problems and are still going after three years. When I talked to the breeder about this, he reminded me that air cargo isn't heated--they are flying at 30,000 feet or so, and it's pretty cold up there. this is not something I would want to subject them to on a daily basis, however.

A word about the reptile heating mats for frogs: With the first few tanks I built I put them under the tank, and unless one has an open screen type rack, this is a bad mistake. There is no external or adjustable thermostat to control the temperatures, and apparently the internal ones aren't very reliable, can and do overheat. These mats actually scorched both one wood stand and another of a kitchen counter top material. I've tried a couple on the backs of the backgrounds of cork bark, etc., on the outside. This may warm the glass a bit, but is a waste of energy, because most of it is dispersed into the air. These are not safe to put inside under water or wet soil. I finally just unplugged or removed them all, and do quite well without them. There are, or at least used to be, grow mats that one could put right in the soil under cold frames outdoors to start early seedlings. I used to use them long ago in a quasi nursery business. They were reliable and had external thermostat controls. They were also expensive as hell, and I haven't seen them around for years. You don't want to use any kind of internal heat rock, etc. for frogs. They don't bask like reptiles.

These are just my own experiences--not gospel.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Dart Questions - meltz, Tue Nov 27 14:13:10 2007