return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Sick slider? Help, please! (pictures)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dioxin at Wed Dec 19 21:22:06 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dioxin ]  

Hello.
I have a question—and am looking for perhaps some advice or opinion on a matter.

I’m a college student and I just got home for the holidays. Back home, my mom takes cares of our two turtles (a southern slider and cooter) that we’ve had since I was in pre-school. So, needless to say, they’re still kicking and doing quite well.

But, upon returning this time, I noticed that one of them (the slider) was shedding an unusual amount of skin (not shell). He seems to be losing most of it now. But, it’s very rare that he ever sheds skin—and this just seemed like quite a large amount. The big pieces are mostly fallen off, but he does have a good number of “threads” hanging off his body.

I’m not all too worried about the shedding, but there was another problem I noticed with him.

Around his eyes, nose and on his forearms there seem to be some sort of yellowish buildup (a fungus, maybe?). I wasn’t sure if perhaps these spots are related to the shedding or if he might actually have a fungal issue.

I’ve provided some links to pictures I took of him. Unfortunately the pictures didn’t come out the best (it’s tricky to take pictures of the guy!) Hopefully you guys can see something in them that might make the situation a little more clear.

We’ve taken good care of him for well over 15 years and I’d just hate to miss a potentially dangerous problem. Hope ya’ll can help!

Here are the pictures:
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/KDsXe/DSC00870.jpg
The above shows a fairly clear shot of his face. Notice the yellowish gunk around the tip of his nose and above his eye?

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/KDsXe/DSC00868.jpg
Another shot around his other eye. Kind of hard to see in this one… but, maybe you guys know better what to look for than I do.

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/KDsXe/DSC00863.jpg
There’s a better view of his left eye in this one. Addtionally, see the spot on his left forearm? It’s hard to make out in this shot—but, obviously there’s something there? I don’t think he always had such a spot.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to seeing what you all have to recommend. I just want to get everything figured out and get him back to being healthy and happy!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]