return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: B&W tegu

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Mon Dec 31 07:28:06 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

I'd hold off on the egg, as they are a bit controversial for tegus. Too much is said to cause vitamin deficiency, and if it is cooked, it is a dry food at a time when she is not going poo anyway.

If you've only had her for two weeks, it's hard to say what has been going on before you got her. Was she fed regularly and what was she fed? What kind of substrate was she on, and was she fed outside of her cage? If it were my tegu, I would keep feeding her every other day and I would offer her a little more fruit until she has regular poos. Citrus is in season now, but it's too acidic. Tomatoes are also acidic. Try pear or apple(mine doesn't like the peel), grapes, blueberries, melon. These fruits have fiber and are juicy as well. She may be a bit dehydrated, or she may be a bit stopped up.

Then give her one mouse coated with mineral oil. You don't want the oil to be dripping off the mouse, but you want it to be oily. Offer it to her first while she's hungry. If she refuses, you may have to brain it or expose some blood so it's more appealing and covers up the oiliness. Another method is to mix a teaspoon of mineral oil with a tablespoon of can cat food. I don't advocate feeding cat food to tegus, but it has its purposes in a pinch. Mineral oil can be found in the pharmacy section or the baby section of the store. It's baby oil without any perfumes or additives, so it's safe to ingest. It's a great laxative! Don't use baby oil, make sure it is plain mineral oil.

Keep up with the warm water soaks and make sure she has plenty of clean water in her enclosure. Let her walk around a bit so she has exercise to get things moving along, too. You should feed her outside of her cage to avoid food aggression and more importantly, to keep her from accidentally eating her substrate. In a worst case scenario, she may have accidentally eaten something and is impacted. If this is the case, she will start vomiting, may refuse to eat, and must be taken to the vet immediately. Some animals have also been known to have hair impaction from eating an improper diet.

Basking temps can go up to 92, she needs a UV light, and I'm surprised that she isn't sleeping right now.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: B&W tegu - Idothatforme, Mon Dec 31 10:27:43 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: B&W tegu - IdoTHATforME, Sun Dec 30 00:29:51 2007