return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Tigar Sal Setup

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boxienuts at Mon Dec 31 13:05:46 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boxienuts ]  

I would go the plastic tub route personally that is what I use, for one you can melt air holes on the sides and keep the lid on without holes, this will keep the humidity up, also It keeps less light from entering than glass obviously, and they spend much time underground in the wild so they don't really like bright light. I use worm bedding for substrate, you can buy it in a box at Walmart $2.00 just follow the directions mix with water, in my oppinion this is the perfect sustrate, it stays moist and stick to them and the eyes as much as other substrates. And it's easy to clean a plastic tub out and change the worm bedding frequently. As far as filtering water with a turtle filter, I wouldnt bother , get a 12" plantic plant pot tray, and put that in the tub with 2" of worm bedding, fill the plant pot tray 1.5" deep with water, and change the water every few days when you feed them ( crickets, nightcrawlers, mealworms, F/T pickies on occation) and then every once in a while you can easily clean out the plastic plant tray with 10% bleach to kill bacteria ect. Also keep them in as cool a spot as possible the like it cool not warm, 60s-70s in the basement works well. Hope this helps.
-----
1.0 pastel ball python
0.1 mojave ball python
0.1 normal ball python
0.2 3-toed box turtles
2.3 eastern box turtles
0.0.5 3-striped mud turtle
1.0 northern diamondback terrapin
2.1 tiger salamander
1.1 red-sided garter
1.0 anerythristic red-sided garter
1.1 Iowa snow plains garter