return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Snake/Handling

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: unholyangel at Tue Feb 5 20:42:22 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by unholyangel ]  

i recently (abotu 6 weeks ago) got a new snake aswell. it was a female het albino banded californian king. she was extremely aggressive to start with, and like your own, tail would shake, would go into striking posture (s shaped bend at the neck) and sometimes actually strike at me.

i left her to settle in the first few days, and some days she was more sociable than others. i've recently moved her to another room (she was in my bedroom) as i'm awake almost all of the time due to insomnia and therefore, there was nearly always a light on in my room. she seems to have calmed immensely and hardly ever does the tail shake now. even though once i woke her up and picked her up, she did go to strike at me, then just before she was about to bite, she stopped, had a smell and was fine (must have recognised my scent - but if i had been bitten, it was my own fault for startling her). with king snakes you need to be direct when picking them up and also when handling them. otherwise, as a previous replier said.....they'll know how to keep you away. they arent poisonous, i took the notion that it was better to be bitten and show her i was boss than back down and have a unsociable snake

some folk would say if you arent prepared to be bitten, you shouldnt keep snakes. king snakes do make great pets when properly handled though. most suggest handling them for 10 mins per day and (again as suggested by prev poster) feeding them in a seperate enclosure so they dont associate hands or lid being removed with food and also, if you have woodshavings as beddin.....if they digest this, it can cause damage to their insides.

hope you manage to overcome this. just be brave. even if you know someone who is a experienced handler, ask them to get the snake used to handling for you

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: New Snake/Handling - Orocosos, Sun Feb 3 23:40:01 2008 image in post