return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pics of my skink cages

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JackAsp at Wed Jan 30 00:22:32 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JackAsp ]  

I might be able to help you with the ground skink. Mine started out in a 70 gallon fully planted terrarium complete with rocks and branches and all kinds of stuff and stayed buried about 99 per cent of the time. So I moved her into a 70 liter tub. Which cost me about fourteen dollars at Target, gives her more square inches of floor space, and the low top makes her a lot more secure. She's still usually buried, because that's what they do, but it's no longer the least bit unusual to see her sitting out either.

It's 44 inches long, over 19 inches wide, and about six and a half inches tall. Which I admit I worried might turn out to be a little TOO low, but their legs are so short she's fine with it. She slithers around under the moss, she walks around normally on the surface, she has several small logs in there to give her a variety of heights and textures. She likes to sit on/slink over those, and has enough room to prop her front feet up on one, angle herself up, and lift her head high while she looks around.

You know those long flat clear tubs that have the hinge in the middle and the clamps on the ends? That's all I'm talking about. UV's not even a problem; just get a soldering iron and planer and make a whole lot of airholes right under where the lights will be.
-----
0.1 Coastal Carpet Python (Boots)
0.1 Western Hognose Snake (Bebe)
0.1 Cane Toad (Hengo)
0.1 White-Banded Sheen Skink (Minerva)
1.0 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Queequeg)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pics of my skink cages - OliveJewel, Sat Mar 8 17:42:27 2008

<< Previous Message:  Pics of my skink cages - OliveJewel, Sat Jan 5 10:29:11 2008