return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sulcatas with mites??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: negatronix at Wed Feb 6 20:28:09 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by negatronix ]  

I've had quite a bit of experience eliminating mites, on all types of reptiles. If your tortoise had mites on him, they were not mites that should have been feeding on mammals, they were the type that feed on reptiles. Mites don't make mistakes on what they feed on.

There are several ways to eliminate them, some are quick and reletively dangerous to your tortoise, some are not dangerous and can take a lot of time to eliminate. Over the counter sprays usually do not work at all, except Provent-A-Mite which is rather expensive somewhat toxic, and not a guaranteed solution.

Whatever you do you will need to quarantine them in an area that they will stay while being treated. An outdoor pen will not do, as the mites will just climb off, then return as soon as the coast is clear.

The best success that I have had uses the following treatment.

1) Quarantine the animal into an indoor cage that has been cleaned with bleach and water. Bake any substrate in the oven as well. Make sure that the area is brightly lit. Mites hate the light. It also helps if the actual area can be lined with cardboard. I would use a plastic container and line it with cardboard.

2) Apply olive oil to the animal with a paintbrush or cotton pad..etc.. The oil will "climb" and completely drown the mites. Water will not work. This has never harmed any of my animals.If you use a white cotton pad, you will actually lift most of them off as you apply the oil. Any mites that are left behind will loosen and climb off of the animal as the oil is toxic to them. Those that climb off will bore into the cardboard which you should throw away every 8-12 hours.

OPTIONAL AND CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR TORTOISES!!!

3) THIS CAN BE HAZARDOUS IF NOT PERFORMED PROPERLY. Buy a few "No-Pest-Strips" at the local hardware store. Cut one in half and place it in a coffee can, or hang it out of reach of the tortoise. Leave this near the quarantined cage/pen for no longer than 6-8 hours. Remove the strip after that time period far from the tortoise. If kept around it will cause kidney damage. Also during the quarantine period hang a few of the strips in the outdoor pen and try to cover the pen with a tarp. The key is to try and seal the area off. DO NOT LEAVE TORTOISES IN THE OUTDOOR PEN IF YOU HANG STRIPS AND COVER THE PEN WITH A TARP, IT WILL PROBABLY KILL THEM.

4) Bleech any rocks or decorations that are in the outdoor pen. The mites will lay eggs which will hatch, usually 7-10 days, but can be much longer. I will usually fill a bucket with water and bleech and let the rocks, etc.. soak for several days.

5) The day after applying the oil try and wash the tortoise down with some soap and water. This usually eliminates all of the mites and any eggs.. If you do notice more, repeat the oil and soap and water. Wait at least a week or two before using any more pest strips.

I've noticed posts here that mention little "mite" looking insects crawling around in cages especially those that use Cypress mulch for bedding. I keep a 1/4 piece of a No-Pest-Strip hanging in my garage for a few days to a week at a time off and on which eliminates those little bugs along with most other insects. I have never lost any reptiles large or small since using these strips, and I have not seen any mites on my collection either.

Hope this helps, and post if you have any questions before treating your tortoises.

-Kory

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sulcatas with mites?? - damesta, Thu Feb 7 11:11:08 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Sulcatas with mites?? - dawgcr, Mon Jan 28 17:55:45 2008