return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Previous breeding posts…..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Sat Feb 2 16:51:54 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

I have been quite busy lately and have not had a chance to post in a while. Just wanted to make some comments on some very good earlier posts I’ve read.

Danny, it was great to hear that your female dropped again. It is amazing how consistent the litter sizes are with greens with respect to the length of the female when you count both live young plus unfertilized ova. A 12 to 13 foot female will invariably drop from 20 to 25 young/ova in a litter. With 14 footers dropping around 25 to 30 and 15 footers dropping 30 to 35 young/ova. I will be able to test this again when breeding a proven 16 footer here in a couple of months. I would be interested in the stats on the young you produced if you get a chance.

Ben, great breeding shots you took. It looks like you have a pretty good chance of producing several litters this year. I would also be interested in the stats of the young on any greens that you produce this year. What are the sizes and ages of the female greens that are breeding for you this year? Also, those headshot photos you posted a few weeks back were excellent, and you have one of the most diverse groups of greens I have seen. I was particularly interested in the greens shown in the 3rd and 6th photos. They showed the ocular stripe colors that were more of the green background color typical of Amazon basin specimens. Most of the greens Jud and I work with are of this type. Do you know the histories on them by any chance?

One thing I have noticed when breeding greens is that the first sign of a female preparing to go into breeding mode is the major increase in appetite. Usually a few months before breeding commences, the females appetite picks up and she becomes a much more aggressive feeder than usual. I have noticed this with every female we have bred and it is a pretty good indicator that she is preparing to enter into a breeding cycle.

Another comment I read from someone was the question of housing an adult pair of greens together with reference to the issue of cannibalism. It has been reported on several occasions that adult female greens in breeding condition have killed and eaten males in the wild. There have been a number of greens kept as adult pairs or in breeding groups in zoos for many years that have not experienced cannibalistic behavior toward the males. Jud or I have likewise never seen anything even resembling this type of behavior with our breeding trials. I would have to assume that these females in the wild have taken those males in an attempt to add to their energy stores for the impending pregnancy. In captivity, females are typically well fed and in great shape for breeding, and are probably not near as inclined toward this type of action.

Thanks again for your postings,

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Previous breeding posts….. - mjf, Sat Feb 2 23:22:24 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Previous breeding posts….. - Ben_Renick, Tue Feb 5 09:42:04 2008