return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: phantasticus caresheet (continued)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uroplatus Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: umop_apisdn at Mon Feb 4 23:11:21 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by umop_apisdn ]  

sorry, i guess it was just a tad too much text. here's the final portion.

Herp Vets:
Your average herp or exotic animal vet is going to cost you a pretty penny. Some people are luckier than others for the fact they have cheaper rates from their vets than you do. But, just because there is a good herp vet, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are experienced with any leaftail gecko. Remember, most people have exotic reptiles such as leopard geckos, bearded dragons, iguanas, ball pythons, etc. It’s more likely that your herp vet is used to animals like this, and not used to leaftail geckos. Ask your vet if he/she has worked on any leaftail geckos before. If not, it wouldn’t be too surprising. But sometimes the vet can only provide you with the possibility of getting answers after performing a series of expensive tests.
If the problem is merely getting a fecal done to test for internal parasites, it can cost as little as $20, or it could cost $40 or more. But your vet should be your best bet of getting the problem accurately diagnosed, as well as get you the proper medication and treatment methods. If you are going to leave your gecko with the vet for some tests to be done, be absolutely sure to get an estimate beforehand, and talk with the vet about your financial limits.
I had problems arise once with a gecko, and I was quoted approximately $250 to treat the problem, however when I got the animal back the bill had skyrocketed to $500, after no one had notified me. Not only that, but the gecko still died the day I got it back. I was able to retrieve approximately $200 of the $500 back since I had never authorized the fact that I could afford a bill like that. The lesson here is talk with your herp vet, and balance the cost of whatever procedures he/she recommends to your financial situation, and how likely you feel your gecko will be able to get better. Honestly, sometimes the vet cannot tell when euthanasia is the best option, but sadly sometimes it is. Ask the vet the risks involved with what he recommends. It is ultimately up to you whether or not to have your gecko treated, but don’t let yourself get stuck with an outrageous bill.
-----
-Mike Martin
North Carolina

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  slugs (satanic) - jadrig, Wed Feb 6 14:42:58 2008
<< Previous topic:  satanics - clown6933, Mon Jan 28 09:03:47 2008