return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Whiptails - marble, checkered, giant

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Thu Mar 20 08:36:55 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Ok--don't know what part of southern California you live in, but Irivne in Mojeskie Canyon, Santiago Canyon, Riverside all over the place (Reche Canyon, Hwy 74), and near Mormon Rocks in the washes off HWY 138 going towards Palmdale would be an excellent place to find real big mamas and noose them. If you don't have experience with these lizards you need to make sure of a few things, Be careful about putting loose sand in the cage these lizards will get impacted as they poke in the sand and take food in sand, use some p-gravel and maybe consider some substrate they can dig a tunnel in as they are diggers and will feel a lot more home given that option. Don't use home depot sand because its big enough if they do eat a lot of sand it will cause irritation to their bowel and even have prolapse or other issues. So if you use sand mix it with p-gravel and use sand that is very fine like desert sand or something else for a substrate that will pass through. They eat insects but have observed them eating seeds as well, don't know what to suggest about the seeds, Don't over feed them, they will eat and eat and eat given the opportunity and will become obese. If you skip a day or so between meals they will not be affected as long as they have water... Also you must and I repeat you must have a water bowl in the cage, these lizards like washes and while it looks dry these lizards drink a lot and either spray every other day or so or put a water bowl, I prefer a water bowl for these lizards and also some flat rocks that they can dig under, also even consider some wild leaf litter, and depending on the are a you capture these in temps of 110 degrees on hot side 85 or so on the cool side. Temps to drop at night down as far as 70 or so. Last of all these lizards are very active--I know you know that, so you need a large cage for these lizards to be happy. Couping them up in a smaller cage will contribute to their obesity and their anxiety if they have to run around in a small area. Breeding season males usually have swollen hemi-penal bulges and pronounced femoral pores and often a light reddish highlight under the chin or throat but not always. Noosing them with a colapsable fishing pole is the best otherwise you'll need several poeple to chase them down and hand capture, I've done both and the noose is by far the bast. Using a long pole allows one to get close enough to noose them but not scare them, seems like there is a distance they will let you approach and you take one step beyond that buffer zone and they are off and running. Often I will chase them a little so they get a little tired (if you can keep your eyes on them for that long) and then try and noose them and have had good success...
Last of all I am no longer in California, but I would check to make sure these are legal to capture and keep in captivity. They may have changed the law on these--don't know for sure myself...
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Whiptails - marble, checkered, giant - lcfish10, Fri Mar 21 09:44:26 2008

<< Previous Message:  Whiptails - marble, checkered, giants - lcfish10, Fri Feb 22 19:43:58 2008