return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Diet cleanup for 28yr captive 3 Toed BT

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: portsample at Sat Feb 23 04:32:30 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by portsample ]  

I've just received a male 3 Toed BT that has been a resident of a high school since 1980. He was bought from a pet store then and I suspect was an adult and was wild caught. He is in "good" shape overall: active, eyes clear and generally normal shell. His diet has been a bit of a concern to me. For the last two years he has been fed almost exclusively cantaloupe, meal worms and an occasional slug. Prior to this his care varied significantly over the decades. Since he has come into my care I've presented quite a diversity of temperate climate fruits and vegetables to him with no success. That is until today when I tried canned cat food, (chicken). I started his meal today with an untainted meal worm (which he ate normally), followed by one that I'd wiped in the cat food (this gave him pause), the next one was pressed into about 1/2 teaspoon of the catfood...he ignored the wriggling meal worm and inhaled the cat food, then spent the next 45 minutes searching for missed crumbs.

Questions: I'm going to keep him on his standard meal worms (5 worms every 2 days) and cantaloupe (1-2 oz each day) diet and slowly get him eating the canned cat food. I'm assuming that he will need time for his digestive system to start producing the appropriate digestive enzymes for the chicken plus whatever filler is in w/it. Question 1) Is there anything that I should watch out for as his diet changes??? Question 2) I'd really like to get him on vitamins at least for a short period to make up for what must be a deficiency....suggestions? Calcium powder? How much? Other vitamins? His scutes have slight gaps between them (0.25- 0.5 mm) which I do not recall having noticed in wild BTs. I suspect that this may be a calcium or vitamin issue.

Any advice regarding specific vitamins to put him on? Thanks in advance for advice and wisdom rendered.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Diet cleanup for 28yr captive 3 Toed BT - JackAsp, Sun Mar 2 01:59:35 2008