return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Winter slug supply

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dekaybrown at Fri Feb 29 10:52:45 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dekaybrown ]  

Those of us who have small ground snakes as pets know how challenging it can be to feed a fussy eater in the winter. Most of us north of the “snow belt” have no slugs available for months at a time.

We used an old non functional chest freezer (cut off the power cord) filled up about 8 inches deep with mulch, moss and loose soil. I misted the inside and keep it very humid in there.

The door seals tight so no slugs can escape, and it contains the smell. (yes large amounts of slugs in a bunch smell bad)

While the weather was still nice I captured hundreds of slugs, and dumped them into the freezer. All sorts, the slimy white ones, the leathery brown ones with the stripe, gooey black ones and the orange ones that show up after it rains.

Once a week I dump a bag of tossed salad into this and close it shut. Slugs are greedy eaters and will consume a lot of lettuce, but they will reproduce and provide you with a steady inexpensive reliable food source.

I also have several dozen earthworms living in there, they do a good job of cleaning up after the slugs. Sometimes the browns will happily gobble up worms, but most of my red bellys will only feed on slugs.

We have had ample slugs for feeding all winter long. And with 20 little mouths to feed, we have needed them!

Now my mouse farm is another story...........

Peace.
Wayne A. Harvey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Winter slug supply - anuraanman, Fri Feb 29 11:27:59 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Winter slug supply - housesnakes, Sat Mar 1 19:56:17 2008