return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

CA Press:Rattlers don't taste of chicken

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sun Mar 2 10:49:17 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

SUN POST (Lathrop-Manteca, California) 29 February 08 Rattlers don't taste like chicken (Don Moyer)
With the wind-driven rain howling outside my window, it’s hard to imagine balmy spring days and green hills basking in the sun. When I ran into my old partner (Donald F), he observed that there were only a couple weeks till Opening Day. I immediately replied that the Opening Day of Trout Season isn't until the Saturday in May. That’s when he sprung the trap on me and replied “Not the opening of Trout Season, the opening of Rattlesnake Season”. Unlike Trout, there is no closed season for catching rattlers and you can technically catch them year around. The Good Lord, however, does things on his schedule, not ours. Once the winter storms subside and the hills are covered with fresh grass and wildflowers, the local rattlesnakes begin to emerge from their dens.
For about the last 20 years or so, I have gone out during every spring to catch live rattlesnakes. Most of my friends think that there must be something wrong with me, and they’re probably right. I'll guarantee you this, if you ever have a 3-foot rattler thrashing at the end of your snake catcher, it will give you a serious adrenalin rush.
Why catch rattlers? Actually there are several reasons. First it's a great excuse to get out in the spring sun after a long cold winter. That sun feels really good on your shoulders and you're not stuck in an office or stuffy meeting. Secondly, when you reduce the rattler population, you are also reducing the chance that some human will get bit while hiking or picnicking. In addition I've found that collecting rattlers is a great way to get access to more wide-open spaces that were formerly off limits to you. Several times, I've asked local ranchers if I could go on their ranch to catch and remove their rattlers. Almost without exception, ranchers welcome you with enthusiasm. I often hear “Help Yourself” or “Take as many as you want”. Rattler collecting opens a whole bunch of areas to you.
When Donald F. and I first began collecting snakes, we used homemade equipment that was far from sophisticated. We fashioned a snake catcher from a long section of PVC pipe with a noose at the end. It didn't work very well, but was better than catching them bare handed.
Slowly we acquired better equipment by perusing forestry supply catalogues and outdoor suppliers like Cabellas. We got real professional snake grabbers, snake proof leggings and of course, The Extractor, a modern snake bite first aid kit. We got drawstring collection bags and learned more about snake habits, so we could better locate the little rascals.
Once in the collection sack, we humanely put them to sleep with ether and then skin them. Next comes salting and tanning the snakeskins, and eventually, fabricate them into hatbands or belts. A rattlesnake hatband on your Stetson can cost you a lot of money unless you made it yourself. Although I haven’t dedicated the time to learn Taxidermy, my partner has, and he has produced some great mounts. If you’ve been in a local museum, or seen a mounted rattler display in a state park, you’ve probably seen some of his work.
Can you eat the snakes? Of course you can, but to tell you the truth, it just takes too many darned rattlers to make a respectable meal. No, they don't taste like chicken. They are really bland and take on the flavor of whatever spice or condiment you've applied. BBQ Rattler tastes just like BBQ sauce. Garlic rattler tastes like garlic, etc.
As the years have passed, I go snake catching more and more with my Son. My old partner Don, like all of us, has gotten older. The last time we went out snake catching and were hiking through the hills and gullies, in search of our quarry, old Donald was using a walker. He still has a good eye for spotting the snakes though and we caught several.
I don't know how many more spring times I'll be able to go snaking with old Donald, but it has been a great experience I wouldn't trade for anything. I hope my Son feels the same way when I'm hobbling along behind a walker. By golly, I can hardly wait for Opening Day.
Rattlers don't taste like chicken

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]