return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

New owners or people thinking of getting

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: shion at Mon Mar 10 08:43:13 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by shion ]  

To anyone who is looking at getting or already has a Sulcata. I can not express enough how important it is that you do your research now on a vet in your area and get to know them NOW and not when you need them.
If you have not been to a vet with your Sulcata, it is just a matter of time until you will have to. Accidents happen and when they do you need to be prepared on where you are going and know that it will be the best care you can provide for your pet.

I have five Sulcatas, have a great set up and everything was going great for several years until yesterday morning when I discovered my emergency. I was making coffee and looked outside to find my oldest one ( Monte) was flipped over in his enclosure. It had gotten to about 20 degrees that night, he was flipped by another tort and was unable to make it back into the shed before the temp dropped so low.

When I ran outside he was stiff as could be, sunken back deep in his shell and I did not see any movement at all. I brought him inside and wrapped him in an electrical blanket to slowly bring up his temp to see if he could be saved. In about an hour I started seeing movement. In two hours his eyes were open and looking about, I knew there was a chance.

He was mobile a little later that day but with a huge amount of discharge from his mouth and nostrils so I called my vet. She was on call and it was pushing 8 pm, she said bring him in and today he looks much better.

I will never understand why people are willing to do research on Sulcatas, purchase one but never do their research on vets. PLEASE DO THIS NOW. Find out how much knowledge they have about them and if they have any others they are seeing.

Everything appears that it will be fine with mine but if I did not know where to go, who to call, things could have ended badly.

“If you love your pet, research a good vet”

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New owners or people thinking of getting - tglazie, Tue Mar 11 00:41:09 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: New owners or people thinking of getting - dawgcr, Tue Mar 11 18:57:09 2008