return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: new to owning water dragons

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Dragons & Basilisks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinyonga at Mon Mar 17 14:02:31 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinyonga ]  

I have kept/bred/hatched/raised water dragons for over 15 years.

I use a regular household incandescent bulb for a basking bulb. For young dragons, I keep the temperature in the low 80'sF. Their small bodies dehydrate and heat up fast. Adults I keep in the mid to high 80's...or even the low 90'sF. I place the basking light to one side/end of the cage. Appropriate basking temperature allows for good digestion, thus plays a part in nutrient absorption.

I use a Repti-sun 5.0 tube UVB light. There have been health problems caused by the compacts...so I don't recommend them. Exposure to UVB (from UVB tube lights or from the sun) allows the dragon to produce D3 which allows it to use the calcium in its diet.

I have a water container that is big enough for the whole dragon to fit into and put the water only deep enough that when its feet are on the bottom of the container, its head is still able to be out of the water.

I gutload and feed the insects a nutritious diet. Crickets get an assortment of greens (dandelion, collards, mustard greens, endive, escarole, kale, etc.) and veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.).

I feed the dragons a "salad" of the same greens and veggies and a little bit of fruit (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.)...dusted with a phos.-free calcium powder.

I dust the insects before feeding them to the dragon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder. Most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. and this helps make up for it.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene won't build up in the system like preformed will. Excess preformed vitamin A will prevent the D3 from doing its job and can lead to MBD.

I also dust with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month. D3 from supplements can build up in the system though, so don't overdo it.

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are the main players in bone health and play other important roles in the body too...so its important to have them in balance. You need to look at what you feed your dragon, what you feed the insects and what supplements you use when trying to attain a balance.

Hope this helps!

(BTW..females of 2 or older can lay eggs without being mated, so its important to provide them with a place to lay them.)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new to owning water dragons - agirlnamedrita, Mon Mar 17 23:24:22 2008

<< Previous Message:  new to owning water dragons - kaz1234500, Mon Mar 17 07:11:01 2008