return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: MMFH, how are the hatchlings?....N/P

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Severa at Tue Apr 1 23:24:52 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Severa ]  

Many people opt to not feed them mealies. There are stories going around that mealies eat through intestinal tracts of young lizards/geckos. I have never had it happen to any neonate of mine, crestie or not. I however choose not to feed the mealies to babies as the chiton (I guess thats how it is spelled...its the hard exo of the mealie)is harder to digest. I do offer mealies once a month or so to my adults and they are always gutloaded with baby carrots (actual carrots, not baby food). I have known for people to feed phoenix worms to cresties. I've never tried them because they are pricey and they wig me out....don't ask. I don't give wax worms until they are juvies and I offer those sparingly as they are too fatty and should be considered as a treat. Funny enough, I only have a couple cresties that actually show interest in them.
When you say worm, do you mean earthworms too? I ask because I know many amphibians that eat them. I wouldn't do earthworms or the small red wigglers or the Georgia jumpers (yes....Ga has a worm believe it or not)to cresteds. To me, the main nutrition of the earthworm is from the head to the segment which is nearly 1/3 of the worm. The rest of it back is intestines filled with dirt. I really wouldn't fool with the earthworms. Someone out there may feel otherwise but it is a personal preference.
The babies though, I feed crickets, fruit flies, CGD, and I also mix them my own cocktail.
Many folks advise only the use of CGD and crickets and don't vary. Do what you believe to be best.
Whoa, Eastern spotted newts? I live in Ga and used to catch them in North and central Ga growing up. I once found a shallow cove and there must have been 30 of them and they were all in amplexus. It was funny because the females would paddle to the top of the water while piggy backing a male for a gulp of air. Then they would sink to the shallows. I never see them anymore though. I haven't seen a wild one in close to 12 years. I am sure I won't come across any in the near future from the drought we had, though so far this year we are getting alot of rain. Maybe I will get the kayaks in the water soon! Pretty cool though that the ESN are in the pet trade. They would make beautiful specimens.

Severa

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: MMFH, how are the hatchlings?....N/P - mmfh, Tue Apr 1 22:35:43 2008