return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Help..Strange Lump..maybe infection/abce

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: beefy at Fri Apr 25 15:55:15 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by beefy ]  

Hi any help would be appreciated.

I recently noticed (upon cleaning his tank) that my 18-19 Year old Yellow Belly Slider (male) had this odd lump on his neck flap..it does not look like the normal location for an abscess and it apperas to look more like a puffed up lump that is soft and moveable under his skin flap. Note it is not on his head but the flap of skin..also no redness or white..just a bump under the neck flap. The bump sometimes moves toward the upper side portion of his neck while swimming etc..

He is about 9-10 Inches, very active and is eating normally as well as basking normally, so other then this he is perfectly healthy. A few years back I took him to the vet for a vitamin injection to stimulate his appetite, and she said the shell had some rot, but it was nothing to worry about since he was an old turtle. He is very active so he has also chipped parts of his shell in the past. She told me it will take a long time to heal.

Tank is a 90 Gallon, 82degres, UVA/UVB bulb and Heat lamp, 1 XP3 Cannister filter and a 1 Aquaclear 500. 200 watt unbreakable Heater etc. I feed him various pellets..mainly Nutrafin Max...when he was small Tetra Repto Min. The only fruit/veg he will eat are blueberries, but most of the time he only likes pellets...so I would say 95% of his diet are pellets. I also coat the pellets with Calcium every few days.

He also has some large rocks to play with as well as a custom basking area. He loves to divebomb off the basking area into the water so I am wondering if the cause may have bee him scraping his skin on his shell when diving into the water?

I think he has had this "lump" for about 4 months now (based on some old photos I had taken around Christmas)..its really hard to notice when he is basking or swimming....however when he stays in one spot with his head tilted left in the water I can see it... I feel really bad for not noticing early. I have 3 Turtles (1 Yellow Belly and 2 Red Ears) in 3 different tanks. (One 90 Gallon and two 75 Gallons and this is the first problem I have had in all these years)

He is a crazy active turtle and I just want to know if everything is okay or if I should take him to a Vet...I just find it so difficult to watch a vet inject a turtle with vitamins etc

I was just wondering is this excess skin? An abscess? A vitamin E difficiency? etc....

Please check these photo/video and let me know if it is just loose skin?

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/b...current=019.flv

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/b...bucket/turt.jpg

Sorry for the long post...I am just worried..

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help..Strange Lump..maybe infection/abce - golfdiva, Tue Apr 29 21:53:14 2008