return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Did you do your part? Did YOU ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Candoia (Ground) Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boaphile at Wed Apr 30 14:53:31 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

Cross posted with the permission of Kingsnake:

Did you do your responsibility and respond to the inquiry sent out on the federal register regarding the "Injurious Wildlife Species; Review of Information Concerning Constrictor Snakes From Python, Boa, and Eunectes genera," dated 31 January 2008?

Did you? Today is the final day. To date only about 1200 have responded. This is a pathetic percentage of the people involved in our business. I know this is a minimal percentage of the people involved, because I have more than twice this many customers who have made purchases from me. I'm sure TONS of people involved in this enterprise have never purchased anything from me.

This particular first step at limiting our ability to keep, breed and sell Boas and Pythons is almost certainly doomed to failure. At least this first battle that is. But what many of you apparently do not get is this IS a shot across the bow. This is a way for those intent on bringing this hobby down to see what they are up against. And the fact that most of you sat back and did absolutely nothing, gives them encouragement and shows the government who is going to be harmed and or offended by making any changes to our ability to keep, breed and sell our Boas and Pythons.

The animal rights nuts are not going away. They are only going to position themselves so their attempts are as effective as possible. They do not have a leg to stand on when it comes to the science. However, they have willing accomplices to lie and deceive. They have come to ridiculous anti-scientific conclusions as is evidenced by the maps that Gordon Rodda and his cartoonist friends came up with. The Burmese Pythons now thriving in the Everglades, have not and will not even make it out of the state of Florida. They are not adapted to environments other than what they can find in the Everglades. Northern Florida is just too cold in the winter time. They will not move North without dying of respiratory problems. This is easy to scientifically prove and thankfully we have legit scientist types working on this issue on our behalf. A bit more than a week ago the Washington Post ran an article, on the front page, that was devoid of scientific facts and loaded with propaganda to scare the masses. This is a topic perfectly tailored for prime time. It is incumbent on each and every one of us to do what we can. However, this is essentially a political fight that will be fought on many fronts. The Scientific battle is perhaps the easiest one in my estimation and we will win. However, this is not going to come down to calm heads looking at the facts and coming to a logical conclusion. This is far more than that. The public relations tug of war is one heavily weighed against us already. There is a giant on the other side with that robe tied around his massive waist, and it's going to take not only our scientific contributors, but a concerted effort to educate the public about the reality of what we do. Ideally we need a much more visible presence of what we do in a positive light. Plus we need each and every one of us to participate in every specific part of this engagement. This is your responsibility. Yours and mine!

The political portion of this fight is what DEMANDS YOUR participation! We and YOU must be active in our efforts to prevent any limitation of our ability to keep, breed and sell these animals. This will not just take care of itself. This effort will be stronger WITH YOUR participation and support than it will without it. I personally have already spent a great deal of effort and money getting geared up to make a difference. Many have made far more of a specific contribution in time and money to fighting this fight than I have. There is going to be a greater effort, the specifics of which will be forthcoming very shortly. We are ALL in this together. We need every singe individual to participate at some level.

I personally would like to extend my gratitude to the following who have made tremendous efforts above and far beyond the call of duty on our behalf. Bob Ashley, David and Tracy Barker, Jeff Barringer, Bill Brandt, Brian Potter, Louis Sangermano, Andrew Wyatt and PIJAC. I would also like to thank each individual who had a part if the meeting in Chicago where the start of a movement to help protect each of us occurred about a month ago. I perceive those folks and each person who responds to the Inquiry as having done me and my family a personal favor and as such, I am grateful. Thank you. Most people are not aware of what is being done on the behalf of each and every one of us. Your participation is not only needed, but in my view, something each one should feel a compelling obligation to engage in.

Jeff Barringer has put together a great detailed instructional page on how to respond. Please, please please do this. Yes, it will take some time and effort to digest and complete. But each one must do their part. This is the earliest stages of a struggle that is not going to go away. We must be conscience of this fact and do the right thing. This is exactly the same as ignoring mites you find in one cage. Sure it's not a problem really, right? But mark my words, if we do not mount an effort to protect ourselves, we will not be protected. Sure it may take a long time for this to happen, but we need to stop this in it's tracks in exactly the same way as you can't let mites get out of hand. The sky is not falling today. I am not trying to be an alarmist about this. However, each of us make sure it doesn't.

The following is a link to the detailed instructions that kingsnake.com has posted which PIJAC has written for each one of us:

Kingsnake Instructions for a reply to Fish and Wildlife

There is strength in numbers. If you have not completed the survey or sent your information previously to PIJAC as I did, please please please do this today.
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]