return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Did you do your part? Did YOU ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: billysbrown at Fri May 2 11:50:03 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by billysbrown ]  

I sent a comment that although I thought more regulation of invasive and potentially invasive exotic animals is warrented, the specific proposal might be taking it a little far.

I'll point out that I don't consider myself part of the 'business.'I'm a hobbyist who hasn't actually purchased a snake for a while and am not sure if I ever will again (if I do it'll likely be from another small-time hobbyist), particularly because of my discomfort with the business. I suppose business ad fees pay for this forum, but I guess I could live without it if it went away. I used to buy from breeders and breed some myself, but lately I've been adopting snakes from rescues (since the business over-produces - if anyone wants a burmese, a ball python, etc., I can point you to some good rescues) and playing with the occasional snake I catch (hence my participation on this forum).

Of course there are some well-intentioned and careful breeders out there who make a living (I think of South Mountain Reptiles as an example, and Dan Scolaro just might convince me to buy something in the future) at it, but the business has given us the disaster of invasive Burmese (Nile monitors soon enough too) in South Florida and the invasive RES in my back yard, and as a field herper I find that very disturbing. I also see all the iguanas, pythons, sulcattas, and RES mistreated or that people have to give up because they bought them not understanding the commitment required.

Florida and the feds are trying to come up with solutions to some serious environmental problems that cost a lot to even try to clean up. They're a little clumsy about it, but I support the overall process even if I disagree with some of the specific proposed steps.

Billy

-

Phillyherping

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Did you do your part? Did YOU ? - boaphile, Wed Apr 30 15:02:38 2008