return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

New Dum; Won't Eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zappaphile at Tue May 6 13:36:58 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zappaphile ]  

Hi,

Just joined the forum in hopes of getting some advice. I know there have been several threads posted about Dumerils not eating; sorry to add another.

I picked up a new Dum (I also have one adult) from an expo about a month ago, and he has yet to eat. It's a young snake, only about a foot a half, but of good weight, even after not eating for a month.

I was careful to leave him alone for a week and a half or so to let him acclimate. Even during the first few days in his new home, he seemed to be a very confident and secure snake. He is in a 10-g tank, of which 3 of the sides are covered to make it darker/more comfortable for him. Aspen substrate. He has a hide which he rarely uses; he prefers to bury in his substrate with his head sticking out. He does spend, however, a LOT of his time uncovered in the tank. Laying on top of his hide, or 3/4 out from under the substrate, laying over (but rarely in) his water dish (ha). I have considered moving him to a smaller encloure, but I would expect to see less of him out and about if he were stressed. (???)

I have been trying to feed frozen small mice, to no avail. I have tried putting him in a smaller container overnight with his food. No luck. Should I try live perhaps, just to get him going?

I believe the temperature is correct in his tank, ranging from 85-75. I am not sure about the humidity, however. I have read/heard a lot of contradictory information about how humid it should really be in a Dum's enclosure.

I have been handling the snake as little as possible in case he is in fact stressed. When I do handle him, he seems very mellow, yet plenty active. He is a beautiful snake, which a LOT of bright orangey-pink color, and seems very "friendly." I am quite fond of him already and am getting concerned. I really appreciate your time spent reading this; sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Attached is a funny picture of the little guy.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Dum; Won't Eat - Stinky15, Tue May 6 16:34:49 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: New Dum; Won't Eat - amarilrose, Thu May 8 01:59:35 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: New Dum; Won't Eat - zappaphile, Thu May 8 13:21:21 2008