return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Dum; Won't Eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amarilrose at Thu May 8 01:59:35 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amarilrose ]  

I only have one Dum, but I have probably more general snake-keeping experience than most. There are, as you pointed out, TONS of posts about young Dums being difficult feeders. Read as many as you can find; there have been a lot of solutions tossed around! (for better or worse)

I bought my Dum when he was about one year old. I think part of why the snake was up for sale was because he was a difficult feeder and the guy selling him didn't want the headache. When I bought him, the snake was taking live mice, which I gave him for the first two feedings, then tried f/t rats (fuzzies or hoppers, don't remember), which he took readily. Pretty much from the moment I bought my Dum, he has eaten almost every prey item I have put in front of him - he is my "clean up" feeder! I'm sure this is part dumb luck, and I can appreciate that it just figures that when the previous owner (who I am still in touch with) decided he had had enough, the snake turned around completely! The reason I bring this up is that this seems to be a trend for a lot of Dum keepers on this forum; babies seem to be hard to get started, but really good, reliable feeders once they get established.

I think it was about 3.5 years ago now that I first saw my Dum and decided to try to find out more about this species. One of my first Google hits was a thread in this forum where somebody was claiming that baby Dums like lizards. The theory at least makes a little sense to me; Madagascar is home to a huge diversity of small lizard species. If you have access to a lizard, maybe try scenting the rodent prey on the lizard before you offer the rodent to your boa.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with the other responses you have; try live fuzzies or hoppers until he starts feeding well.

Another useful trick: I like to feed in separate containers. There is a ton of debate about this, but it works GREAT for me. I use deep-proportioned rubbermaid tubs with locking lids. Something I have always noticed with my Dum is that he will eat anything as long as he is in his feeding bin & that bin is covered with a blanket or a towel. The larger the prey, the longer it seems to take him, but he is very reliable!

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
~Rebecca
-----
1.0.0 Dumeril's Boa '04
1.1.1 Ball Pythons

0.2 American Pit Bull Terriers (40lb darling lap dogs:Brandy&Mara)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New Dum; Won't Eat - zappaphile, Tue May 6 13:36:58 2008 image in post