return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Venomous snakes of N. America

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Fri May 16 17:05:44 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>I failed to mention that I was just looking for the more severe venomous snakes. However as you mentioned, their are many other mildly venomous, rear fanged snakes like the Hoggnose, racers, and what I think ive been hearing, the corn snakes. As you know rear fanged mildly venomous snakes can be equally deadly depending on the reaction of the bite to the person bitten.
>>
>>Thanks for reminding about the mildly venomous snakes. I totally overlooked them!
>>
>>JasonMc >>

There is absolutely no evidence to show that the ratsnakes and their descendants (kingsnakes, gopher snakes et al.) are venomous or even toxic. There has been a claim that the common ancestor of all the colubrid snakes was venomous, but that is a real stretch of reason and imagination. Using that particular definition of venom, human saliva can be considered venom and human beings are venomous, which is of course absurd.

Of course the number of venomous species can be exaggerating by the splitters, taxonomists who like to propose new species on the basis of differences that most other taxonomists would consider trivial.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Rubber Boa and Rosy Boa - CKing, Wed May 28 18:49:56 2008
<< Previous topic:  C. bottae taxonomy - RichardFHoyer, Thu Mar 27 16:04:19 2008